Total Pageviews

Report Abuse

Skip to main content

Glasses and I

After 21 years of providing me clear visions of the things around me, my eyes finally say, "You have to give me eyeglasses, Jellian. I am already nearsighted!" Have you ever experienced hoping something and at the same time never expecting it to happen? I've been hoping many times before of wearing glasses but never expecting it to happen too soon because I thought my eyes (w/ 20/20 vision) will last long enough. But here I am, already dependent to glasses at an age earlier from what I've calculated.

I like seeing young people wearing eyeglasses. They look cool and smart to me. In that sense, I wanted to have one too. My friends who are wearing eyeglasses warned me that it's not cool at all. Like me, they also wanted it but later on as they already use it they realize and see its true color: burden. Being dependent on something that God has not made for you to be dependent for is truly a burden. Now, I have to live agreeing with my friends that wearing glasses is indeed hassle. I maybe enjoying it these days but as time will pass by I shall see how blessed I was before having a 20/20 vision.

I went to the ophthalmologist for a free check-up (thanks to UP Health Service) and found out that my vision has escalated to 50/75 with astigmatism in my left eye. I remember when the doctor put lens in front of my eyes I couldn't help but be amazed because I can read all the letters on the Snellen's chart! Wohoo! It's a glorious feeling being able to see things clearly again. I asked Dra. Uichanco how I got a myopia. She spoke one word with certainty: genetic. Hmm..somehow. My father's mother (my lola) years before she died lost her sight. They didn't have the chance to know what was that illness because it was a time when people still do not rely to doctors. It was maybe a glaucoma which the doctor asked me if someone in my family had one and I said, "none". (I forgot my lola that time and I really didn't know if it's glaucoma). Whether hereditary or just my negligence, I have to give extra care to my eyes from this day onwards. I can't afford to lose more.

I am embracing this change. With arms wide open, I welcome this glasses as an addition to my life. Have to accept the present circumstance and just make the most out of it.

Comments