Total Pageviews

Report Abuse

Skip to main content

To blog is to risk


For the first time in the Philippines, someone has been penalized after committing a crime to an animal. A fellow student from UP has pleaded guilty for killing a cat. The punishment isn't that relatively heavy, he's only going to pay P2,000 and obligated to do some service in PAWS, specifically feeding cats and cleaning their house. But what's even more painful about this incident to the person, is that his name has been spread to the entire nation or maybe even to the entire world after it has been in the news in major TV networks in the country. I first heard the news in TV Patrol, then in GMANews TV and after that in ANC. He could have just paid his due then the matter is close. Unfortunately, life isn't that simple because media exist to inform the world both pleasant and unpleasant facts. For all we know, that Mr. Who-killed-a-cat wanted to keep this private. If I were in his shoes, as much as possible I'd hope that few people will know about it and I guess that's what he also hoped for. How he wished media was on his side and will keep mum about it to save him from shame.

He could have escaped from the punishment of the law just like anybody else if he didn't blog it. Of course, he should have not done the killing of a defenseless cat in the first place, but come to think of it, if he didn't blog it, advocates of anti-animal abuse from all over the world wouldn't be aware of what he did and so no complaints against him. This is a lesson to those who blog that not everything and anything under the sun is BLOGGABLE. There are things that should be kept in private. There are things that are not meant to be shared to people. We don't publicize everything about our life. Yes it's true, there's a freedom in blogging. We get our own space to exhaust anything we want to. But we should be reminded that we don't have the freedom to dictate the people's reaction after reading the contents of a blog. And that's the part that we should be careful for about blogging. One downside about having a blog is it can bring us to our own downfall if we don't control ourselves from talking just anything we'd like to share.

I know that my schoolmate made a mistake that is punishable by law and if justice is to be considered, it is just right that he must pay. But is it fair? I know for sure that there are other people who are more violent towards animals compared to him but left unpunished because they don't have a blog to talk about it. And that's what I call unfair. They should pay too to give fairness to that schoolmate who has been put to shame after being judged guilty. I feel sad for him. I hope that he won't close his doors to blogging even though his blog was the instrument for a concrete evidence of his crime. I hope that he would get over with his present circumstance soon. That single incident doesn't make him a bad person and it shouldn't be our only base to define him. At least, we should thank him for reminding us that we should really think before we post something on our blogs.

As for me, I will keep on blogging since this thing makes me happy. I don't know where this blog will take me. I don't know what impressions I make to the ones who read this blog.. I really don't know.. But I guess, happinesss is worth the uncertainties so I will not leave this place. Happy blogging. :))

Comments