Total Pageviews

Report Abuse

Skip to main content

My Teacher is a Celebrity

I attended UP Broadcasting Association's ACLE entitled 'Ang Teacher Ko, CELEBRITY!' to see Mr. Ramon Bautista in person who is my new idol of awesomeness! I became his fan when I found his formspring and twitter account through a friend just a few months ago. He doesn't fail to tickle me with his funny but witty responses and tweets on those sites. So from the time of my discovery of his formspring, I regularly check his account to see his latest responses or sometimes I just read his previous posts to engage myself in laugh trip once again. Since my fondness of him grow more and more, I also researched about him through the Internet. I got interesting facts like he said matter-of-factly that he is inherently lazy person which is something I could hardly believe since he is an actor, director, film editor, UP lecturer and of course, internet action star all at the same time. Maybe it is really true that once you do what you love, laziness would be simply not a problem. 

Meeting him in person was what I was totally excited about for the week. Nothing could bring my spirit down not even my difficult exam last night and the checking of the 1st long exam of my another hard core major subject before the ACLE, for my great anticipation to see personally the guy who have brought laughter to my stressful self. I arrived there late and there was only one seat left. I was surprised that many students actually attended. It was also apparent that they came with the same reason as mine, to meet Ramon Bautista. The person beside me even wore a shirt that said, "Girlfriend ako ni Ramon Bautista." Hehe.. Such a fangirl. After several minutes that I arrived, the room was already filled. Others were just squatting on the floor. 

When it was his time to talk/ share, he was bothered by the people squatting right in front of him. Baka daw kasi matalsikan sila ng laway, which caused a guffaw from the audience. He shared a lot of stuff which were related about him being a teacher and a celebrity. He graduated from the College of Mass Communication, majoring in Film here in UP Diliman. But Film wasn't his original course, it was Architecture. His teenage self was a fan of Pugad Baboy and comics in general. He chose Architecture because the creator of Pugad Baboy comics is an Architecture graduate. He later expressed that, "Wala naman palang kinalaman ang komiks sa Architecture!" Given that the said course is tedious and demanding, he is a lazy person (w/c he openly admitted), lack of passion---he shifted to the field which ignited his passion (char!). In terms of teaching, he didn't actually picture himself of doing it. He said jokingly that he was discouraged by his high school teacher (in UPIS), that teachers have low salaries plus they have students who get on their nerves most of the time. He even commented that it is so unjust that a teacher after educating young minds for 40 years just gets P20,000 a month.tsk.tsk. But still, he went into teaching which left me wondering 'till now if it's a no choice thing or he realized later on that he loved it, because he joked a lot. The jokes and the facts were already mixed-up that I was incapable of determining which one is or isn't true. Mr. RB's talk was just like I was in a comedy bar.

I came there with my expectations to see him, to be humored by his antics, to know more about him and to learn about what he got to say about life.  I did get all of those things which I was thankful about. But what's more amazing is that I just didn't get those things, I received more.. Mr. Ramon Bautista wasn't the only guest but also Jim Paredes and Director Maryo J. Delos Reyes. Sir Jim Paredes is an Areneo, opps, I mean Ateneo professor. :) I missed the first half of his talk since I arrived late and he was the first one to speak. One of the things that he said that sticks to my mind is this (not verbatim):  You don't have to believe everything your professors tell you; You don't have to believe everything an  older and wiser person instills to you; You don't have to believe everything that the Holy book has written; You don't have to believe something because the majority else does so; You only believe what's real to you. I highly agree with it. It is simply true. Believing something because you are just pressured is what we call hypocrisy.

Sir Maryo J. Delos Reyes is an award-winning director here and abroad. His most popular work is Magnifico which claimed many awards. He is currently directing the teleserye, Munting Heredera on GMA (Sorry Sir, I'm a Kapamilya eh). What Sir Maryo first shared to us was the heartaches he had experienced being on the industry when he was just a newbie. He said that it was painful that others would not listen to you because you are just a nobody to them. It was so hurting to him especially when he knew that he got something important and excellent to say. Wow, a person who is elite on his field having experienced rejections sends a message to us, "Rejection just can't bring you down." Another interesting thing is that, ever since he was in kindergarten, he already knew what he wanted to do in life and that is directing. Wow, when I was that age I only wanted an ice cream and  Rinbee which my mama forbade us to consume! And even until now I am still not really sure of what I truly love to do in this life. 

All in all, I learn a lot from them. I wanted to say more but I have to go, many stuff are waiting  to be done! :))

Comments