Total Pageviews

Report Abuse

Skip to main content

Meg Cabot's The Boy Next Door


One of the things that I missed doing during the time that I was reviewing for my board exam was reading a novel. And now I've got the time to do that. I have around 5 novels unfinished reading. I was thrilled to continue reading another Judith McNaught's novel. But since I was delighted by the idea of reading an ebook in a tablet, I started reading one which was written by Meg Cabot. I just randomly chose it from the various ebooks saved in my laptop. My kuya (older brother) just gave me a Samsung tab and I'd like to use it as a reading instrument.

I already finished reading Meg Cabot's The Boy Next Door. At first, it was kind of boring and then it got exciting and the next thing I knew, I was already at the last page. It was my first time reading a novel written by the said author, who I think is popular because of her The Princess Diaries series. From the start up to the end, the story was conveyed by the characters' exchanged emails. It was my first time to have encountered a novel written that way. It was kind of weird at first, and then eventually I loved the idea. What I most liked about it was there were no unnecessary descriptions. Yes, there were no meticulous descriptions of a character's apartment, its dress, the office that he/she worked to, the restaurant and stuff like that. One of the things that I don't like, or I think the only thing that irritates me while reading a novel, is the unnecessary descriptions of the setting. I call it unnecessary because the story could just go really fine without them. Don't get me wrong, there are stories that need to be described in details like in the Hunger Games series. Still, a lot of novels out there which are loaded with descriptions which for me are overdoing its purpose. Sometimes, I did talk to the book in my mind like this, "Can you be straight to the point?" Oh well, I think authors do it to make their novels get more pages. :p (Sue me for being foolish). Well, that's how the novel was (The Boy Next Door), the descriptions were only given to people (characters), which of course, a very important part of any story.

I am giving it a rating of 3 stars out of 5. 3 means I have enjoyed reading it. I have figured out that this kind of novel, are intended for teenage readers. It's kind of light, well, if you compare it with McNaught's novel. I think that the young ladies would love this one. For me, it deserves a 3 and not lower than it because I like the idea of mixing romance and criminal mystery while keeping it light. I am not giving it a 4 nor 5 because it is not the kind of a novel that will make you ponder about it for hours or for days just like what The Atonement, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, The Giver and more, had done to me. It is the kind of novel that after you finished reading it, you moved on with your life. Hehe (I hope you get my point.)

Okay, I'm off on reading another book. A series sounds good this time. But wait, I think I should watch one episode of Running Man today. Wow, I love my temporary bum life. My mother is giving me one month to be a bummer. I'm actually going home this week. They urge me to go home for a while because me, passing the exam deserves a celebration. My parents are just utterly happy with the fact that their daughter is now an engineer. Okay, I'm blabbering now. It's just good to be back on blogging. :D

Comments